Azusa Pacific University
Dr. Dick Pritchard
February 12, 2004
"The Process of Strategic Thinking and Acting"
I. Allowing God to contextualize who you are in specific ministry for the
sake of His kingdom
II. The Process
A. Identify your theology of ministry
B. Identify your philosophy of ministry
C. Do an analysis of the ministry in progress
D. Do a value assessment of that ministry
E. Identify a mission statement
F. Identify needs in the ministry context
G. Evaluate/adjust the mission statement
H. Identify a vision statement
I. Plan strategically
J. Implement the strategy
K. Evaluation contingencies that affect the ministry strategy
L. Evaluate the ministry effectiveness
Mission of the Church: Balancing between wholeness and brokenness
of the Kingdom of God
A. Future hope
B. Inner spiritual experience
C. Mystical communion
D. Institutional church
F. Political state
G. Earthly utopia
H. Christianized culture
V. Mission and Vision
mission statement of the ministry should identify a unique reason for being in
a existence and the core mandate to be followed
business are you in?
vision statement of the ministry expresses what it is becoming through
intentional strategy and implementation, and how the mission is being
accomplished as a result
C. Willow Creek Examples
mission of Willow Creek Community Church is to turn irreligious people into
fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ
2. Our vision is to be a biblically functioning community of believers so that Christ's redemptive purposes can be accomplished in the world: Exaltation; Evangelism; Edification; Extension
A. Direction - Use the master-planning Arrow
1. Needs - What needs do we feel deeply burdened by and uniquely qualified to meet?
2. Purpose - Why do we exist?
a. Primary Results - What is the best single measurable indicator of the health of our total organization?
3. Objectives - In what 3-7 areas will we continue being actively involved in the future?
4. Milestones - What major milestones have we already accomplished?
5. Ideas - What ideas have we had that we should consider turning into goals in the future?
6. Roadblocks - What is keeping us from reaching our full potential?
7. Resources - What are our greatest resources?
8. Quarterly Goals/Problems - In the next 90 days, what are our specific measurable targets of accomplishment?
9. Short-Range Goals/Problems - In the next 0-2 years, what are our specific measurable, targets of accomplishment
10. Mid-Rang Goals/Problems - In the next 2-5 years, what are our possible targets of accomplishment?
11. Long-Range Goals/Problems - In the next 5-20 years, what are we dreaming of accomplishing?
C. Cash - Financial Health Checklist
D. Tracking - Six reporting questions
E. Overall Evaluation - Ministry Covenants
VII. Assignment Elements
A. Theology of Ministry - how you understand, according to the Word God wants to relate/minister to His creation - who you believe God to be
B. Philosophy of Ministry - How do you understand yourself out of this theology
C. Mission Statement - why do I exist?
D. Vision Statement - what are you going to do about why you exist